Thursday 8 January 2009

Repeat Scan Nightmare and More Baby Things!

Well during the first 20 week scan I had a while back, they couldn't see baby's spine properly as he was laying in a difficult position. (Breech transvere with legs up, been the same old story since his 13 week scan!) So I had to go in for a repeat anomly scan on Tuesday. I was totally cool about it because lets face it, anyone would be thrilled for a chance to see their baby on the TV screen again!

I guess I was not so astonished when the sonographer said two things. Firstly, my bladder was no where near as full as she wanted it to be (despite my little boy laying right on it fast asleep...making me think otherwise!) and after some serious prodding and trying to wake a very irritated baby who kept battering the sonographer with his little hands and turning his head away in a dozy manner (my, he's already like his mummy) the midwife finally gave up and said "I don't believe it! He's STILL in the same position!....I guess he's just got himself comfortable!" I didn't hear anything else, I just watched my little one slowly moving from side to side, occassionally jerking his hand or foot in his sleep. I wondered what he might be dreaming about...

"you'll need to come back later today and drink something fizzy!" the midwife said. I felt a little glum at the thought of having to work on making my bladder as full as possible - especially when I have to fight with over a pound of baby pressing down on it all day long!

A few hours, several drinks and sips of fizzy fanta later...we were back in the waiting room. Oh my, I thought the midwife was punishing me. She was sat laughing in the reception area for 10 minutes until she decided to come and do the scan on me. I furiously watched the "Patient's Toilet" sign on the door right ahead of me and gritted me teeth. Ross tried to keep a smile from passing his lips, and patted my hand sympathetically. "You're doing well," he muttered quietly every two minutes. Finally we were in the darknened scan room and I led down on the paper covered bed. The midwife took several minutes entering my name and details into the system because she had decided to use a room that didn't hold my records. (how annoying - baby is awake from the sugar and doing the conga on my bladder now.....please hurry UP)

Finally the sonogram was on and we saw our little man again. This time all I could see was chubby long legs. He'd definitely got bigger since the 20 week scan a few weeks ago, his face looked more mature (if that's possible when we're talking about a baby here) and his little hands were not so little! No wonder I feel mighty prods and kicks during the day. Speaking of kicking...."Oh, can you feel him kicking?" the midwife asked in surprise as I watched my baby boy stubbornly push the sonogram wand with both his feet and kick furiously against her prods (he really likes his space - but who would enjoy being constantly roused from sleep and prodded in various parts of your body?) Once again, the sonographer stated that this boy was stubborn and decided to stay in the same position as before so his bottom was curled as he hand his legs up against his tummy and his feet over his head. He's such a smart little man, already he sees the benefits of practicing yoga.... thankfully he was awake so he straightened out just long enough to help the midwife see the bottom of the spine and happily announce that all was in order and he doesn't have spina bifida or some other awful problem. At that moment baby turned his head right towards the wand and made a gesture as if to say "look, if there was a problem with my spine, I wouldn't be able to do - THIS!" and once again he pulled his feet up by his head and played with his toes. LOL

So that's all done now. Thankfully! We wont need to go in for another scan unless the midwives are worried about the baby's position (which evidently I am, already) 4 scans and he's been the same for each one! - you can't blame me worrying!

We bought our crib and got it the other day. It's beautiful! And it swings (but you can set it to stay still too) and we have all the bedding for it and it's all set up in the back room at the moment. Sometimes I like to just sit next to it and rub my belly as I talk to baby and tell him all about our new purchases. "we've got your pram, car seat, crib, clothes and nappies now...so don't you worry, mummy and daddy are getting prepared!"

Mmm I'm now insanely hungry - mini cheddars it is then, I've been awake for hours now thanks to my little gymnast kicking me awake. "Come on, get up, DO something mummy!" okay, okay, I'm off!

2 comments:

  1. Just wait til he actually tells you to get up and do something. Evan came in and said "wake up mummy" and I finally sat up after all his prodding and he said "good job! okay now... stand up!" Well my mouth about dropped to the floor. Talk about role reversal. I'm glad you got to see your baby boy again he is obviously very cosy where he is. I can't wait to see him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear all is well with your little one. I had the opposite problem. Felicity was always moving around all over the place - even as I was about to give birth, she decided to move her little hand right up by her head so that it was a little more difficult to get out, I guess she liked it in my tummy.

    ReplyDelete